I have a separate section for this population, because I believe it is important for you to understand that although you will still have to teach me about your personal, individual life, you will not have to educate me on LGBTQIA issues or the challenges faced by this community, both from within and from the outside. I have special training and experience working with LGBTQIA identified people, including those at various stages of coming out and gender transition.
Working together, we might explore:
- Questions about sexual and gender identities
- Coming out to family, friends, or partners as trans
- Coming out to family, friends, or partners as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or asexual
- Exploring societal, institutionalized, and internalized oppressions associated with being LGBTQIA
- Preparing for the experience of medical gender transition, of yourself or a loved one
- Writing letters of support for medical gender transition.
Regarding gender transition, I believe in using an Informed Consent model and working with you at a pace that makes sense for you. I am familiar with various standards of care including WPATH and ICATH, and have experience collaborating with clients in navigating these models within health, mental health, and other systems. For more information on an Informed Consent model see the ICATH website.
~Barb Herstig, MA, LPCC
Founder, Tayat Counseling
Please fill out our contact form, call us at (612) 305 – 8225 or email email@example.com for more information on our services and availability.